I just got done watching the movie....The Kingdom which is a movie ab out an Amercian investigative team going into Saudi Arabia because there has been a suicide bomber who killed over 100 Americans on this base.
I got watching this movie and I don't know what to think...but I have thoughts and so this is my avenue for getting them out. This movie was brutal and grotesque but what it did do was humanize the "enemy" and it did so in a way that was purposeful and intentional. I realize that. I am not siding with the bad guys whoever they are, but who is the bad guys anymore. Do we even know? Is it the United States? I mean what have we done as a country?
Do we even support this war anymore?
I can't say I do. I support those who are over these fighting for our country, that is what I support. I support those who will be away from their families on Christmas day and miss their kids and husbands and wives and want nothing more the a hug. But I can't support this anymore. I think (well rather hope) that at the beginning of all of this we as the United States stood up and said no more. This injustice will not go any further. We will not allow the torture and killing of innocent people not one moment more. That is why this war was started because someone had to do something. Someone had to stand up.
But I do not believe that is the case anymore. I believe that the sect of people we are fighting is so small and has become ambibuous and yet has so much control and power they we have become blind to the very reason why we began this war.The Bush administration says they have to stabilize the Iraqi society and teach them how to stand on their own, but studies have shown that according to our standards Iraq is not passing and they are not doing well.
Now I know that violence has gone down over in Iraq. I realize that, but as an overall picture. This war is never going to end. There is never going to be a resolution. I think and this is my own personal opinion and you are entitled to your own but how does anyone end a culture of people? I mean the small sect of people who are radical enough to strap a bomb to their bodies and become a suicide bomber engrain their believes into their children. A country cannot wipe out an entire religion of people. The Holocaust happened once and I still am unable to completely understand how is happened. So why do we think we can stop these people?
I am just at wits end for what to do anymore. As an American I am saddened for our country. I am saddened at our economy. I am saddened at the approval ratings we have for our president. I am saddened at what this war has done to our country.
The movie ended by both people passing along the torch to others of violence. They each believed they were right and avenging the enemy. I wish violence could not be an option. I wish that guns were never created. I wish for a lot of things right now...but then again these are just my thoughts.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I saw this movie too, that last comment that both sides share was a big wake-up to me. I was just talking with a friend who's a ranger in the army and he mentioned the statement "America at War" and how untrue that is. America goes about their day and life normal, but its the soldiers and their families who are at war. That statement was just so true in my eyes. -Kelly B.
Post a Comment